My kids, rocking the LBK totes on Halloween 2017
I like to volunteer in my children's elementary classrooms, and it seems like the only times I can make it in are for holiday parties. This year I'm in charge of doing a craft with 3rd grades (yikes!) and there are LOTS of ideas out there. While I haven't yet decided what we are going to do, I thought I'd share some of my favorite non-school Halloween party ideas.
Spooky Sensory Table
This is probably a no-brainer, but it's a crowd pleaser - especially for elementary aged kids! I mean what kid wouldn't want to feel eyeballs, brains, guts, and other slimy body parts?! If you're going to do this, you'll need some shoeboxes with a hole cut in the lid, large enough for kiddos to put their hands into. Here's what we've done:
- peeled grapes for eyeballs
- peeled tomato for heart
- dried apricot for witches ears
- cooked and cooled mini carrots for fingers (or vienna sausages!)
- cooked spaghetti for guts
- sliced almonds for fingernails
- popcorn kernels for teeth
This is such a fun activity! Just make sure to provide hand sanitizer/wipes for afterward!
Haunted House Decorating Contest
My friend Jaclyn always does this activity at her parties and it's such a hit! You could use kits
but it's just as fun (and more economical) to just grab chocolate graham crackers, a bunch of Halloween candy, and some piping-type frosting/icing. Split into teams or compete individually! Just make sure to do this early in the party if you want your kids to go to bed at a reasonable hour!
Art Projects, Printable Worksheets/Games for Kids
If you want to give the adults a chance to socialize, set up a kids table with art supplies like pipe cleaners, popsicle sticks, crayons and markets, along with coloring pages or other worksheet style activities. Let them go crazy! If you need some fun coloring pages and activities, we have a super cute printable that you can find here
. Print as many copies as you need, and let the kids have at it while you chat with the other adults!
A quick list of other fun party ideas:
- Have someone dress up as a fortune teller and set up a spooky room for fortunes! (Our friends did this one year and it was so much fun!)
- Minute to win it games (duh!)
- Classic party games, Halloween style - pin the spider on the web, Halloween BINGO, spooky scavenger hunt
- Spooky refreshments! Kids go nuts over "potion" punch - dry ice with whatever punch suits your fancy. Extra points for creepy crawlers (plastic spiders or bugs) in the bowl!
Another Halloween throwback, 2018
We love Halloween around here! I hope you all have some fun stuff planned this year! Happy Haunting!